Average Wizard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writing A Novel

3 posters

Go down

Writing A Novel Empty Writing A Novel

Post  DramioneFanGirl-Inactive April 15th 2010, 12:53 am

Hello everyone!

This morning, I sat in my bus seat, waiting to get to school with my headphones in. I was listening to the really pretty song that's in Polish or Norwegian or something like that, and I was suddenly hit with an idea. A story idea. Not like a fanfiction, or anything...a NOVEL.

I obviously already know what I want it to be about, and I've already showed some of you guys, and they liked the idea, so if you're interested in hearing what little of the plot I have already, tell me, and I'll edit this post.

Thanks for your time!

DramioneFanGirl-Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Writing A Novel Empty Re: Writing A Novel

Post  Guest April 15th 2010, 1:11 am

YES PLEASE!!! can you tell us somat??????

Back to top Go down

Post  DramioneFanGirl-Inactive April 15th 2010, 1:28 am

Okay, so here's the basic plot. And I haven't decided any character names or anything major details, so...yeah.

So this girl's mom decides to send her to a really expensive private school for her Freshman year of high school, because that's where she went to school. For the first few hours that she's there, she likes the school, but then later, the principal/headmaster person calls together an assembly to make a few announcements and whatnot. So near the end of the assembly, she starts to list off the school rules. (I haven't got any except for the one that pretty much IS the plot) So one rule is that students can only interact with other students of their own grade (and teachers of course for classes). So she doesn't really understand this rule, but she follows it because she doesn't want a bad reputation of her first year of school there. But later, she has a run in with a senior boy, and they totally hate each other and almost get into a fight before some teachers pull them apart and remind them of that rule. So they go away, but she starts to like him soon, and soon she loves him. And he's loved her since the moment they met. But obviously, neither of them knows that their feelings are mutual. and it turns out the girl's parents hate the boys family, but the boy's family has no issue with them whatsoever.

I haven't decided the rest of it yet, but it's pretty much a Romeo and Juliet based story, with a little twist on the whole family hate thing.

DramioneFanGirl-Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Orwell April 15th 2010, 1:32 am

That sounds really interesting, and has a great arc. I think that if you really want to write it you are going to need more subplots though.
Nikki Orwell
Nikki Orwell
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  DramioneFanGirl-Inactive April 15th 2010, 1:35 am

Yeah, but I just got the idea for this novel this morning, so I haven't had a lot of time to really think it through as much as needed.

But I'm working on it.

DramioneFanGirl-Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Orwell April 15th 2010, 1:38 am

If you ever need help, I would love to!
Nikki Orwell
Nikki Orwell
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  DramioneFanGirl-Inactive April 15th 2010, 1:46 am

I need help figuring out some names. So far, I got there characters I need names for:

Freshman Girl
Senior Boy
Headmaster/mistress
Girl's mom
Boy's mom
Boy's dad
Boy's best friend
Bitch snob girl
Bitch snob girl's two lackeys
Boy's older sister

That's it so far. I'll add more as I think of them.

DramioneFanGirl-Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest April 15th 2010, 1:47 am

oooooh i likey. I've been trying to write something for like a year now, and I haven't even come up with that much plot wise Smile

And names are really hard to think of Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  DramioneFanGirl-Inactive April 15th 2010, 2:09 am

It's kind of ridiculous how hard.

DramioneFanGirl-Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Orwell April 15th 2010, 2:27 am

I have some good name sites!
First names:http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/
http://www.behindthename.com/
Last names: http://surnames.behindthename.com/
Nikki Orwell
Nikki Orwell
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  DramioneFanGirl-Inactive April 15th 2010, 3:17 am

Thanks for the links!

Ok, so for the main female (freshman girl) I was thinking Ivory for a first name. Does it sound stupid? REPLY HONESTLY OR THE CULLENS WILL COME AND SHOWER YOU WITH THEIR SPARKLES.

DramioneFanGirl-Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Orwell April 15th 2010, 3:30 am

It isn't a common name. It is showy, and sorta fairy-tale-esque. Depends on what you are going for with her. Do you want Ivory to be symbolic for something? Do you think it will fit, or alienate a reader? Because I have never met an Ivory.
But it is a pretty name.
Nikki Orwell
Nikki Orwell
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  DramioneFanGirl-Inactive April 15th 2010, 3:40 am

Now that I think about it, I kinda wanted it to be contradictory to her personality, which is quiet and reserved, but she's not really shy. She just keeps to herself, mostly. But there are a lot of choices.

God, picking names is so hard.

DramioneFanGirl-Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Orwell April 15th 2010, 3:43 am

I either have a name, then a character, or a character and no name. If I get the character first, I can never write, because I am so obsessive about names. The name has to be perfect, or I freak out. Which is why I have a tendency to write without mentioning names...
Nikki Orwell
Nikki Orwell
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest April 15th 2010, 4:17 am

*butting in*

I try to write like total fantasy stories, so want names which aren't real, if that makes sense. Then I stop bothering because inventing names is really hard

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie Bell April 15th 2010, 12:32 pm

I look up name meansings, so it is relevent to their character alot of the time. And I always go for uncommon names. Like in my storys the characters are; Arya, Cassion (boy), Levi (boy), Blake, Jaime (Pronounced Jamie, but is a girl), Arielle (Pronounced Ari-ellA)
Katie Bell
Katie Bell

http://voldemortisgoingdown.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DramioneFanGirl-Inactive April 15th 2010, 11:21 pm

Still got no ideas for any names. If you guys have any suggestions you'd like to share, feel free.

Damn, I also need to figure out where in the world this school is, and give it a name.

DramioneFanGirl-Inactive
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest April 15th 2010, 11:22 pm

Katie Bell wrote:I look up name meansings, so it is relevent to their character alot of the time. And I always go for uncommon names. Like in my storys the characters are; Arya, Cassion (boy), Levi (boy), Blake, Jaime (Pronounced Jamie, but is a girl), Arielle (Pronounced Ari-ellA)

Please tell me you got Arya from George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie Bell April 16th 2010, 12:12 am

Regulus Black wrote:
Katie Bell wrote:I look up name meansings, so it is relevent to their character alot of the time. And I always go for uncommon names. Like in my storys the characters are; Arya, Cassion (boy), Levi (boy), Blake, Jaime (Pronounced Jamie, but is a girl), Arielle (Pronounced Ari-ellA)

Please tell me you got Arya from George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Err.... No. A fan fiction. As with Cassion.
Katie Bell
Katie Bell

http://voldemortisgoingdown.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down