Average Wizard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Children's Book Review Mya Had To Write For Work And Was Kinda A Smart-Ass About

4 posters

Go down

Children's Book Review Mya Had To Write For Work And Was Kinda A Smart-Ass About Empty Children's Book Review Mya Had To Write For Work And Was Kinda A Smart-Ass About

Post  Molly Prewett June 2nd 2010, 9:44 am

So as many of you know, I work in a library. I recently got asked to write a review of a children's book for a national children's literacy event, and I wasn't really inspired.... so I sort of took it my own direction. I can't wait to see if it actually gets published, because I don't know if they'll appreciate my take on things, but here it is:

The Value of Perspective: A Review of Little White Dogs Can’t Jump by Mya Lupin

At the age of twenty-six, it seems I can still learn something from a children’s storybook. I learned that perspective is a powerful thing that can change the intended message of a story. Or maybe I learned that I take these things too seriously. To some, Little White Dogs Can’t Jump by Bruce Whatley and Rosie Smith may seem innocent enough – a light-hearted tale of persistence wherein one little girl invents the most painfully creative of ways to attempt to get Smudge the dog into the car. For me, it was the worst case of animal cruelty I’ve witnessed since Dumbo. (Because separating an infant elephant from his mother and shoving him off a ridiculously high platform is pretty cruel in my book.)

The story is a series of what I suppose is intended to be fun adventures chronicling one little girl’s journey to solve the age old problem of how to get the dog in the car. You see, the poor little dog Smudge is not very agile, and cannot jump into the car for himself. So it is left to the little girl’s enquiring mind to devise a solution to the problem. It’s an excellent concept in theory, yes, but in practice? Hardly.

This unsuspecting reader’s alarm was raised from the outset with a lovely, well-drawn illustration of Smudge face-planting into the rear bumper of the family car, and the carnage only spirals from there. A springboard, a skateboard up a ramp, a dog-launching canon that Wile E. Coyote would be proud of – my horror grew with each attempt to get poor Smudge in the car. Not to mention the poor dog’s ever-expanding list of phobias. (Why yes, I imagine I would develop a fear of loud noises if someone attempted to shoot me out of a canon, too!)

Just when I despaired of Smudge ever making it into the family car alive, the little girl finally decides to be inclusive, and enlists the help of her family in solving the puzzle at hand. ‘Finally,’ I thought, ‘a little parental supervision – a chance for the moral of the story to scream for common sense and an adult to pick the dog up like anybody with enough muscles and half a brain would do.’ I was wrong. Mum had a solution, naturally, but I would call it neither common sense, nor ethical. (Clever, though, as anyone’s ability to use a dog as a bargaining chip to score a convertible must be called!)

Reviewer’s recommendation: read this book if you are a small child and would like to develop a creative set of problem-solving skills, or if you simply want to see what happens when one tries to shoot a dog shot out of a canon.
Molly Prewett
Molly Prewett
Ringmaster

Back to top Go down

Children's Book Review Mya Had To Write For Work And Was Kinda A Smart-Ass About Empty Re: Children's Book Review Mya Had To Write For Work And Was Kinda A Smart-Ass About

Post  James Potter - Inactive June 2nd 2010, 10:23 am

Mya... It's 2:22 AM and I don't think I've told you I love you yet today. Nevertheless, let it be known that...

I LOVE YOU

James Potter - Inactive

Back to top Go down

Children's Book Review Mya Had To Write For Work And Was Kinda A Smart-Ass About Empty Re: Children's Book Review Mya Had To Write For Work And Was Kinda A Smart-Ass About

Post  Molly Prewett June 2nd 2010, 10:53 am

I LOVE YOU MORE THAN MONKEYS LOVE BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you I love you I love you
Molly Prewett
Molly Prewett
Ringmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gideon Prewett June 2nd 2010, 11:59 am

This is amazing. You are amazing. That's about all I have to say.
Gideon Prewett
Gideon Prewett
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Prewett June 2nd 2010, 12:02 pm

I actually half expect them not to print it. Laughing Embarassed

But hey, they wanted something written and I wrote it! *innocent smile*
Molly Prewett
Molly Prewett
Ringmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Orwell June 2nd 2010, 1:56 pm

Mya, I am thinking about starting a religion. Would you prefer Myaism, Lenorites, or OMRYOUARESOFUCKINGAWESOMEMYA-ists?
That is to say, I LOVE YOU!
Nikki Orwell
Nikki Orwell
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Prewett June 2nd 2010, 1:58 pm

*loves the sound of Myaism*

lol

I LOVE YOU TOO NIKKI! *flails*
Molly Prewett
Molly Prewett
Ringmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikki Orwell June 2nd 2010, 2:12 pm

Myaism does sound good. I shall figure out the details today in class.
-hugs-
Nikki Orwell
Nikki Orwell
Sixth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum